By Terrah Banakas
Last updated on
Last updated on
Here are 16 ways to help you get the greatest benefit from your massage session.
- Be as receptive and open to the process as possible
- Do not eat just before a session
- Be on time. If you arrive in a frenzied, rushed state, it will take longer to relax. Let your therapist know 24 hours in advance if you need to cancel
- If you do not want to remove all your clothing, wear clothing that you will be comfortable wearing during the massage and allow your therapist to touch and move the areas of your body you expect will need to be worked on
- Give your therapist accurate health information
- Good communication is important. Before the session, let your therapist know what your needs are
- During your session, report any discomfort, whether it is from the massage or something else (room temperature, music volume, lighting, etc.) Feel free to give feedback on the amount of pressure, speed of movement, etc.
- Do not be afraid to discuss any apprehensions or concerns. Your therapist is a professional, dedicated to do his or her best to help you feel at ease.
- Some people like to talk during their session, while others remain silent. In general your therapist will follow your lead
- Tightening up during the massage is counterproductive. Let your therapist know if this happens. They can adjust the massage technique or help you relax
- If your thoughts race, try to quiet your mind by following the hands of your therapist. Focus on how the touch feels
- If anything happens during the massage that seems improper, ask your therapist to stop. You also have the right to end the session
- If you feel dizzy or light-headed after session, do not get off the table too fast
- Drink extra water after your massage
- Allow for some open, quiet time after your massage session. It helps your body absorb the massage
- Massage has its greatest benefits over time. The therapeutic effects of massage are cumulative, so the more often you get a massage, the better you will feel and the more quickly your body will respond